Saturday, May 4, 2013

Rain, Rain, Go Away!

What a rainy day! It has been pouring all day! I have to admit that a little bit of sunshine is much needed in my life. I began my day at 4:30 this morning and then went and took the GACE teacher certification test :( To be honest, I am not really sure how I did on it...I'm thinking not too well. I had to sing at a funeral at 12:30 pm, therefore I was trying to resist the temptation to rush through the test. Unfortunately, it was a rough morning and the rain has not been helpful, as far as my mood is concerned. Now, I am enjoying a nice warm cup of coffee, and taking a relaxing brain break on the couch! Its nice and cozy!

This week was my first week out of school, and I got lots of work done and actually made some money! Hallelujah! This is success! My goals for next week are to get some much needed cleaning in my own apartment done, and hopefully send some junk to the Goodwill! I need to get reorganized and clean out all of my school notebooks and bags. After that I will be preparing for my graduation on Saturday! I am so excited! My friends and I asked our moms to decorate our graduation caps as a surprise for us! Hopefully they will be cute and I can't wait to see mine! My sister and I are having a "joined" graduation party since she is graduating from high school, and I am graduating from college. It is going to be an open mike party, where anyone and everyone can come up and perform their talents. I think it will be a blast! It's fast approaching and there is lots to do in order to prepare! I've definitely got a busy upcoming week, but it should be fun and productive!

I am embarrassed to admit how much time I have been spending on Pinterest lately...whoops! As a result though, I have found some delicious healthy recipes that I want to try this week and share with you all!

Creamy Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup!
Creamy Tortellini Soup
Ingredients:
1-1 1/2 - 2 ounce envelope white sauce mix
4 cups water
1-14 ounce can vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1- 7 or 8 ounce package dried cheese tortellini (about 2 cups)
1-12 ounce can evaporated milk
6 cups fresh baby spinach leaves or torn spinach
Ground black pepper (optional)
Finely shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)

Directions:
1.Place dry white sauce mix in a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Gradually add the water to the white sauce mix, stirring until smooth. Stir in broth, mushrooms, onion, garlic, basil, salt, oregano, and cayenne pepper.
2.Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
3.Stir in dried tortellini. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 1 hour more or high-heat setting for 45 minutes more.
4.Stir in evaporated milk and fresh spinach. If desired, sprinkle individual servings with black pepper and Parmesan cheese. Makes 4 servings.

Baked Oatmeal Casserole!
Ingredients:
2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup walnut pieces
1 cup raspberries {any berries work}
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
2 cups milk
1 large egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 ripe banana, peeled, 1/2-inch slices

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375°F and generously spray the inside of a 10-1/2 by 7 inch baking dish with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, half the walnuts, half the strawberries and half the chocolate. (Save the other half of strawberries, walnuts and chocolate for the top of the oatmeal).In another large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter and vanilla extract. Add the oat mixture to prepared baking dish. Arrange the remaining strawberries, walnuts and chocolate on top. Add the banana slices to the top then pour the milk mixture over everything. Gently shake the baking dish to help the milk mixture go throughout the oats.Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is nicely golden brown and the milk mixture has set. For an extra tasty top, sprinkle a tablespoon or so of extra brown sugar.

These recipes sound delicious! Can't wait to try them! There is one for supper and a healthy, power packed breakfast! I will let you know how they turn out soon!


Scripture for the week…
The scripture that I wanted to share with you this week comes from Hebrews. It is Hebrews 10:19-25 which says, " 19 Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

As I read these verses this week, I was encouraged to not give up. It is so easy to get caught up in the ways and beliefs of this sinful world that we live in, but they are lies. We have to run the race with all that is in us, and live our lives being supportive of one another. We need each other. Our hope is in God Almighty and with Him we will never fail, even when this world throws circumstances and situations in our lives that we think we cannot handle. It is in those situations that the Lord comes through and reveals His amazing power to us, because without Him there is no way that joy and peace would be possible. Therefore, as we prepare to enter into this new week I challenge you to lay down your life at the feet of our savior, take up the cross, and "hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who is promised is faithful!" Let that be your encouragement each day, and go out and share it with the world!


Love,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment